Summertime Sweet: Chocolate Almond Quinoa Stuffed Strawberries
Looking for a way to use up overripe bananas without having to turn on the oven to bake yet another loaf of banana bread on a hot Summer day? Strawberry banana creams are a refreshingly sweet recipe, but if you’re vegan, here’s an alternative.
These strawberry bites are filled with a chocolatey mashed banana-quinoa mixture, and topped with chopped raw almonds, so they’re packed with rich flavor as well as fiber and protein.
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1) In a small covered pot, bring quinoa and one cup of water to a boil.
2) Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light and fluffy.
3) In a separate bowl, place the cooked quinoa, banana, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and almond extract. Mash the banana and mix everything well. Allow to cool.
4) Wash and dry the strawberries. Using a small paring knife, remove the green tops and scoop out the middle of each berry.
5) Add a small scoop of the chocolate-quinoa mixture into the middle of each strawberry. Top with a few chopped almonds and snack on immediately, or place in the fridge in a covered container to enjoy later.
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Calories per serving 118